December 4, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

As you know, I love holidays and Thanksgiving is no exception. Although I try to be thankful every single day, this is a time during which we especially focus on all of the blessings in our lives. It's a time to spend with family. It's a time to eat lots of yummy food. It's a time to embrace the craziness. It's a time to slow down.

Here is how I spent my Five Day Thanksgiving Weekend this year:

Wednesday

I took the day before Thanksgiving off to spend some time with my sweet husband. Our work schedules are almost opposite, so we never get 24 hours together unless one of us changes our schedule. This can be hard, but I tell myself that it won't be forever.

Cory has been getting into the hobby of hunting over the last couple of years, thanks to my step-father - an avid hunter. Our family has a cabin in Sedan, KS that Cory wanted to take me to there since I had not been for 15 years or so. Finally, in the giving spirit of the season, I obliged.




This is me, shooting a gun. And don't worry, no animals were hurt in the making of this blog, I was just aiming at a log in the water. Oh, the things we do for love. A plus: I got to sport the cute cowboy boots Cory bought me this past summer.

Thursday

Thanksgiving Day! This year Thanksgiving was a little different. Normally we run to three to four Thanksgivings, which can get a little hectic. In fact, after running around all last Thanksgiving Cory & I decided that we would just have to choose & attend only two Thanksgivings in the future. A lunch & a dinner.

Well, we got our wish. My side of the family was a little scattered this year: My mom went to visit my stepdad's familiy in Portis, KS. My sister went to her inlaws. Our grandmother's husband was in the hospital so she cancelled Thanksgiving at her house. I didn't quite know what to do with myself.

So I slept in, went to the gym (got in some quality chat time w/Alex) & basically walked around like a lost soul until Cory got home from work. We spent the evening with my stepmother-inlaw's family. The meal was great.


Friday

Black Friday! We did this a little different this year as well - it is a year of change, I suppose. Since many stores opened on Thanksgiving or at midnight on Black Friday, we went for it. Here is a picture of us at waiting in the checlkout line atWalmart at 11:30 pm.  


And then later again that day, we went furniture shopping. We found this awesome blue suede sofa at Dillards. Cory vetoed it. : /



Saturday

After a good night's sleep have been had, we spent time together as a family on Saturday. My Uncle Phil was in town from Florida so we had a family game night & skyped my aunt & cousin in. Look at how precious these two babies are:


And we're so excited for the one that's on the way!

Sunday

On Sunday we FINALLY set up our tree & decorated for Christmas! I love days like this. Here are our new, custom ornaments that I got at Holiday Galleria this year.



I thought it would be neat to add a special ornament each year of our marriage. This is our second Christmas together as a married couple, so I thought that this is what I would do for our first year ornament: shred & stuff our wedding invitation.



"Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough." - Oprah Winfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment