September 1, 2012

1/2 Marathon Training - 6 Weeks To Go

I woke up at 6 a.m. today, on a Saturday, ran seven miles AND IT FELT AWESOME!

I think I'm starting to understand this whole runner's high thing. After mile three I sort of just got in my zone. I wish every run felt as good as that run.

This week I've been getting into some running blogs & a tip I picked up from this blog is to turn every long run into race day practice. So, with that in mind, Cory & I carbloaded last night & we actually went a little overboard. No cream based sauces on the night before race day - lesson learned!

I woke up & had a LUNA bar. I wasn't hungry at 6:30 a.m., but while running the 10k in July I only had 1/2 a banana for breakfast & started to feel really weak after four miles, so I knew I would need more than 50 calories of food before I attempted seven miles.

I also experimented with an energy gel for this first time, PowerBar's Energy gel in vanilla (thanks for the flavor suggestion, Stephanie). I took it after mile four (which is about 45 mins of running for me) & felt like I could keep going even when we hit mile seven.


So it's hard to tell if the gel really helped or if it was the 180 calorie pre-run snack that gave me the energy. The energy gel wasn't the BEST tasting thing I've ever had, but it wasn't the worst either. I didn't get any water until the end of my run, so it made my mouth sort of sticky. I think I'll try it again, but only when I'm a little closer to water, so that I can chase it.

Next week we're running our first 15k at Tanganyika, duringTiger Trot.

9.3 miles suddenly feels doable.

I've never jumped more than a mile at a time (going from six miles one week to seven the next), but it will be great race day practice, since 11 miles will be my longest run beforeI run  the 1/2. Plus, this run starts at 8:15 & is on a Sunday, which is almost identical to the Prairie Fire. I've been doing all of my long runs on Saturdays at 6:30 a.m.

Maybe I'll take some GU at mile 5.5 or six during the Tiger Trot. A colleague had suggested to take energy gel after 45-60 minutes of running. Does anyone else have different philosophies?

As for my weekly runs over the past two weeks, they've still been a little shoty. I'm having a hard time MAKING the time to run almost every day. But with six weeks to go until race day, I'm hoping to work on my consistency.

Nothing gives you the inspiration to push your body like a good, long run does!

“I run because it’s so symbolic of life. You have to drive yourself to overcome the obstacles. You might feel that you can’t. But then you find your inner strength, and realize you’re capable of so much more than you thought.” – Arthur Blank

2 comments: