Sweet November

On Friday Cory and I were talking about the funny/strange/annoying things that have happened to him at work lately. It's a topic that comes up a lot in our house. Being a manager at Quik Trip, he has had some pretty unbelievable stories over the past 8.5 years. 

So we were driving around in Bill (our new Prius), running errands and he was telling me about this young mom that had come in last Thursday with her son, crying & distraught, because she didn't have enough gas to make it to work through pay day on Friday.

Being the amazing man that he is, Cory offered to loan her enough gas money to make it through the week and she agreed that she would come back in the next day at 6 p.m. to pay him back.

Fighting back tears, the story sounded all too familiar to me. 

Growing up, my sister & I were raised by our young, single, struggling mother, who was (and is) incidentally, the best mom EVER. One day I remember pulling up to the gas station in our used, tan-ish gold Camry and staying inside the of car while my mom went in.

When she came out with nothing, I asked her why she had run inside. She told me it was to pay for some gas that she gotten the other day. Confused, I asked if people could do that, to which she explained to me that no, they couldn't normally, but a very nice man made an exception for her when she was very low on money earlier that week.

My mom never spent money on herself back then and she even has a hard time doing it still today. But she always made sure we had everything we needed, even if it once meant putting her pride aside to "borrow" gas.

I have no idea how old I was when this happened, but it's something that stuck with me today.  Of course the lesson she inadvertently taught me was about personal integrity.

Since November is the official month of thankfulness (though we should all remember to be thankful every single day), it's the perfect time to say how thankful I am for my mother, her selflessness and the lessons she taught me.

Here we are this past September.



I'm also so thankful for my husband, who told me that he was picturing my mom with Morgan & I as kids, when he loaned the frantic mom gas money.

Cory's story didn't end up quite the same as my mom's, since the lady never came back to pay, but that almost makes me love him even more for his kind, giving heart.

On a cool note, Cory DID find half of the amount of gas money that he had loaned the lady, laying on the ground at Quik Trip, the day she was suppose to come pay him back. And the world goes round...

Here we are at the Pumpkin Patch last weekend.



I hope you make the most of this sweet November and find something or someone to be thankful for every day! I know I plan to.


2 comments:

  1. Love that kid, er, man. LOVE YOU BOTH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. You both have big hearts & I'm lucky to call you friends! :)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram