February 20, 2013

Life After Masectomy

For those of you following my mom's progress, here is the latest update. 

Surgery went well. 

Recovery didn't go as well as expected, as my mom was more in pain than she had anticiapted, but a masectomy is a pretty big deal. She took two weeks off of work after the surgery & I was able to visit her during that time. She had four tubes in for drainage purposes, and those were a bit uncomfortable, but she was a trooper. 

Occasionally she went a little stir-crazy and got out of the house, but those outings were very brief because they took a lot out of her. 

After two weeks the doctors took two of her tubs out & gave her the okay to head back to work, which proved more exhausting than she expected, as well. Luckily, she works for an awesome couple (and has been working for them most of my life) & they were very supportive of her working half days, every other day, so as not to put too much stress on her.

Two weeks later the doctors were able to take out her last two tubes, which was a relief for her because they were a major source of her pain. The spacers that she has in her chest now are uncomfortable, so she is looking forward to those being replaced by implants this spring.



I personally think she just can't wait to have new, perky boobs to show off.
(If you know my mom -  you clearly know I am just kidding. Kind of.)

As for further recovery, we were hoping to find out yesterday if she would need radiation or chemotherapy. Unfortunately, the tests came back mixed & we have to wait another two weeks to find out if we're "in the clear."

One thing I must mention, before I go, is how strongly my mom has felt God in this whole process. It's the one thing she has been saying over & over & it has been amazing to see her calmness with her diagnosis & surgery. She has truly been the anchor keeping our familly together.



Thank you all so much for the prayers, food & support that you've given my family and please keep her in your prayers for another couple of weeks, while we wait to find out further treatment.


No comments:

Post a Comment