August 6, 2013

1/2 Marathon #2 Training - Week One

Last week we began training for our second half marathon. Although I've been hesitant to make this commitment, I am excited about the details of this race. We'll be running in the Rock 'n' Roll series in Denver the weekend after Cory turns the big 2-9. I've heard that Rock 'n' Roll races are some of the most fun to run because there are bands playing at each mile marker, and also because they draw really fun crowds of people. 

And so it begins. Again. 

This time around I picked a much more laid back training schedule, which I mentioned in this post last month. It decreases the amount of weeks I train, as well as the amount of times I run each week, but increases the length of distance I run for my longest training runs. 

A couple more things that are different this time around:

I'm definitely missing my running buddies back home: Alex, Kristine, Elyse & Bonnie - these girls kept me accountable and kept me going. I do have my eye on a few ladies here though...Rachel and Jess - heads up!

Alex & I before a race last fall, pre-training.



I haven't found my race shoes quite yet. Last time I ran in Brooks that were a full size bigger than I normally buy and I loved them. This time around I have my eyes on these Asics, which I hear are similar to Brooks, and were chosen as Editor's Choice 2013 by Runner's World.



Lastly, I've been getting into making unique playlists for each run, based on BPM technology. Basically, I pick songs that are best for warm up, run time, sprint & cool down, based on how many Beats Per Minute they have. Here is my latest 3 miler list:

Warm Up: I Love It - Icona Pop version from HBO's Girls & Titanium - David Guetta
Run: Can't Hold Us - Macklemore, Come & Get It - Selena Gomez, All I Do Is Win - DJ Khaled, I Will Wait - Mumford & Sons
Sprint: Feel This Moment - Pitbull
Cool Down: Anything Could Happen - Ellie Goulding & Girl On Fire - Alicia Keys

To see how the last 1/2 marathon went (my first), click here.

I would love to hear your tips, opinions on shoe choices and song suggestions. If you have any, leave 'em below!

No comments:

Post a Comment